Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 4 - Refining Practice

Day 4 has brought us a male teacher, Jason Crandall, and a very technical sequence. Refining Practice is a great description; after this 30 minute practice, I had a better grasp of Warrior I, Warrior II, Extended Side Angle, Triangle, Revolved Triangle, and Half Moon.

We had guests this morning so I practiced right before going to bed. 

What I enjoyed
It might be because I'm tired but I loved it when Jason said "sticky mat" or "your sticky". What a cute way of describing the yoga mat. Right? Ok, moving on. Jason has a loud and clear voice which was easily understood even when facing the opposite direction.
I enjoyed the clear directions and the mention of what's coming up next. I appreciate the heads up.
It was great to get a little movement in before the standing pose sequence with the half Sun Salutation.
Congratulations Jason! You are the first to truly conclude the practice. After a smooth transition into savasana, I followed his prompt to pause the video and enjoy the rest for a couple minutes. Then I rolled over and sat up and got the concluding ritual of thanks and bowing. Loved it!

Favorite moment
I got to practice two of my favorite asana: Half Moon (Ardha Chandrasana) and Tree Pose (Vrksasana).  I particularly like the way we moved into Half Moon.
Taking a wide step on your sticky mat, turn your right foot out and your left foot in. Transition into Warrior II, bend your front knee, arms out the side, hips level. Take a moment to feel the stability of this pose. From there take the left hand to the left hip, take your right hand to the outside of your right foot onto a block if needed. From there, before going into Half Moon pose, make sure you have space to move forward. Step your back foot half way towards your front foot, bend your front knee and move the block forward. Shift your weight onto your front foot into Half Moon. Roll your left hip open, your left leg reaches up extending through the heel. Reach up through your left arm, spreading your fingers. Take two breathes here then bend your front knee and slowly lower your left foot down to the ground and nice and slowly make your way up to standing. I love this pose and Jason does a great job leading you into it.


How to improve 
I thought it started off a bit quickly, I wanted a couple twists in before lying down on my back, so I paused it. I might even have started with the half Sun Salutation. Also, I don't own a block or a strap, they are readily available at my yoga studio. So I improvised. I used the box  the modem came in and my hubby's belt (he was not using it at the time). There are alternatives to props which could of been suggested.
After a couple standing poses, one of my knees started to bother me so I stepped my feet together and rotated my knees clockwise and counter-clockwise, a warm up I learnt in Karate. Considering we kept our legs straight and engaged the entire time, I would of appreciated warming up my knees a little before the practice started. However, this is a personal weakness that I am aware of and know how to avoid.
I might be getting used to it but the absence of eye contact was less of an issue today but be careful not to lower your voice at the end of your sentences.


Lasting Impression
I am happy with the sequence, revolved triangle was less frustrating than usual (props to Jason for that accomplishment). I really want to by a block and a strap. I'm thinking of the Three Minute Egg, the oval block I saw advertised in Yoga Journal. What do you think? Never heard of it? Click here.

I've made it past the three day mark, next stop 3 weeks!

How's your practice going?
Are your motivated to continue?
Is it hard to find the time?

I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...