Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Body Flow, Taking Yoga at a Gym

As an answer to my frequent complaints of not being active enough and yoga studios being to expensive and too far away, I recently received a membership for my local gym. I had a couple years ago now started my yoga journey through a gym. The teacher was an older man with a body of steel and a funny little accent. He was brilliant, I found out later that he gave a basic Anusara class. He definetly spiked my interest in yoga. This however was in Montreal.

I'm in the suburbs now and well, the classes are very different. My local gym offers Bodyflow, a fitness class described as follows :
''BODYFLOW™ is the Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates workout that builds flexibility and strength and leaves you feeling centered and calm. Controlled breathing, concentration and a carefully structured series of stretches, moves and poses to music create a holistic workout that brings the body into a state of harmony and balance.''
The class starts out with a fastforwarded Tai Chi inspired workout, followed by sun salutations, standing poses, balacing poses, hip openers, throws in some pilates to work the core, adds a few twists, and ends with savasana. It's quite a workout but I didn't leave me with the peaceful feeling I get after a REAL yoga class. It might be because it was my first time so I'm going again tomorrow morning and Thursday night to try out their different teachers.
Another thing that sort of bugged me was, if I understood correctly, each Bodyflow session - which consists of a couple months, has it's own defined routine created by Jackie Mills. Meaning that if I were to take another class this week, it would be the same sequence repeated along with the same music. Bikram yoga also uses predetermined sequences which, I guess, allows you to really master every pose.  I'm just used to having different classes, each time focusing on a different part of the body.
 
Overall not too bad but nothing compared to the classes I used to take at Oceanfront Yoga in Virginia Beach, now those were the days.
 
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...